Scratch card games have become a staple part of online casinos in Canada. The easy to understand games feature the latest innovations in design and technology and offer players multiple ways to win.
The games have numerous special features that you can enjoy as you play, with each designed to boost your enjoyment and improve your chances of winning a big jackpot.
You can also play online scratch cards for free, giving you the opportunity to test the different games to find one that you like playing.
Our researchers have saved you time and effort by checking all the best online operators and reviewing their scratch game offerings.
Our site contains all you need to know to secure a winning return from playing online scratch cards.
TYPES OF SCRATCH CARD GAMES
Online scratch cards mirror the gameplay of their physical counterparts, with players required to scratch panels on the screen to reveal symbols. There are a few different variations as follows:
Themed scratch cards
Canadian players have hundreds of options when it comes to themed scratch card games. These include sports, fantasy and casino-themed games. For instance, play a blackjack themed game requires your card to reveal a better hand than the dealer.
These are the simplest cards to play. For example, the Mumbai Magic scratch card simply requires you to match at least two symbols in order to win a cash prize.
The object of this online scratch card game is for the player to line-up a series of three or four symbols which will result in a win.
The player must scratch a panel to reveal a number or symbol, before scratching multiple other panels to reveal whether or not the concealed symbols match the initial symbol. If you get a match, you win!
Online scratch cards can be fast-paced, so it is important to familiarise yourself with some basic rules before spending real money. These are as follows.
- Read the game rules and examine the pay-table and prize structure
- Decide how much you want to bet on the card – the more you wager the greater the potential winnings will be
- Use your mouse to ‘scratch’ the designated area on screen to reveal the symbols, cards or money values. Some games offer auto scratch functions
- Check the area that you’ve scratched to see if you’ve met the desired win criteria for that game or if you’ve uncovered an instant win bonus symbol
HOW TO PLAY LIKE A PROFESSIONAL: BEST GAME TIPS
Online scratch cards are a game of chance but following a few simple tips can increase your chances of securing a winning return.
Our team of impartial researchers have complied in-depth reviews about the different operators, so spend some time reading these to find the best places to play.
Signing-up for a site that offers a high Return to Player (RTP) percentage rate immediately gives you a better chance of winning. An RTP of 95% or above is the magic number.
Research your chosen game to see how often the jackpot or big payouts are won. Play in the free section of the casino to find scratch games that you enjoy playing.
Check out how often the jackpots are paid on scratch games online. Although the games rely purely on luck, it may be possible to establish a pattern that shows the optimum times to play.
HOW TO WIN / BEST STRATEGIES
Playing a site that has a higher percentage RTP automatically improves your chances of winning on online scratch cards. Here are a few other handy strategies worth knowing:
- Set a realistic affordable bankroll before playing scratch games
- Always stick to your budget and don’t gamble more than you can afford to lose
- Be selective about the value of online scratch cards you play
- Pick the highest value cards your bankroll allows – this increases your chances of winning big jackpots
Online scratch cards are a popular way to gamble, because the odds of winning are competitive when compared to other games. Many Microgaming scratch cards payout at a rate of 95%, whereas some slots payout at just 85%.
The odds of winning in scratch cards vary depending on the operator and the game. Players usually have around a 1 in 2.5 to 1 in 5 chance of winning.
Most casino operators credit online scratch card winnings back to your account instantly, although any subsequent withdrawals to your chosen payment method are subjected to the usual processing times.
There is wide range of terminology linked to online scratch cards. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Autoplay: An instruction to the site to automatically play a series of scratch games online
- Bet Max: An option available in certain scratch cards, for bettors who do not want to allocate specific amounts of chips and to just place a maximum wager
- Casino Scratch: Games which have themes connected to casinos. These include roulette and blackjack
- Classic Scratch: Some of the longest running games available on scratch sites
- Chips: The tokens of scratch cards representing cash. Chips differ in monetary value
- Fantasy Scratch: Games grouped together around a fantasy theme, such as The Fairy Tale
- Free play: Choose this if you want to try out a new game or just gain some experience
- Jackpot: Big prize offered for hitting specific symbols. These are paid infrequently, but the amounts can be life-changing
- Line Price: How much you choose to spend on each scratch card line
- Login: The area where you sign-in to enter the online casino
- Real money play: Games where you play for actual cash, rather than just for fun
- Recent Games: A section on the site which allows access to all the games you’ve played recently
- Scratch: The action of unveiling the portions of the scratch card. This is done either via mouse movement, keyboard or automatically
- Sports Scratch: Games which are grouped around sports events such as darts or bowling
- Total Bets: The area which shows how much you have spent
- Total Wins: The area where you can see you how much you have won
- User name: Your personal identification details which you need to use to login to the system
- Physical scratch cards were invented in Massachusetts in 1974, but their online counterparts didn’t arrive on the scene until 36 years later.
- Cal Tigner invented the first dispenser for scratch cards in Oregon in 1985
- A Quebec teenager won lifetime of weekly payments of $1,000 on a $4 scratch card
- Banks utilise scratch card technology to send private information to customers
- A UK man won £100,000 on a scratch card, but didn’t claim his prize for four weeks as he forgot about the ticket
- A US man has a physical collection of around 57,000 scratch cards
- Some scratch card operators tell you whether the major prizes have already been paid out
- The first scratch card introduced in the UK in 1995 cost just £1 to buy
- A Burnley man became the UK’s biggest scratch card winner in 2014 after he claimed a whopping £4 million from a £10 scratch card
- The scratch card with the highest jackpot is sold in the UK – the lucky winner gets a cool £10 million
You now have everything you need to know to successfully play online scratch cards in Canada. Keep an eye on CasinoBillions.com as we bring you all the latest information, bonuses and promotions from across the online gambling industry.